Sunday, April 18, 2010
Tex-Mex Tofu Tacos
From Southern Living Magazine
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 fajitas
* 1 (14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces*
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 7 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
* 1/2 medium-size sweet onion, thinly sliced
* 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
* 1/2 cup chunky salsa
* 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 8 (6-inch) fajita-size flour tortillas, warmed
1. Sprinkle tofu with cumin and chili powder; gently toss to coat all sides.
2. Cook half of tofu in 3 tsp. hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side. Remove tofu, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with 3 tsp. oil and remaining tofu.
3. Sauté sliced onion and bell pepper in remaining 1 tsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in salsa, vinegar, and salt; cook 2 minutes. Pour mixture over tofu. Remove from heat. Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
*1 lb. chopped cooked chicken breasts may be substituted for tofu. Cook 7 minutes, stirring often.
Note: We tested with Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu and Pace Chunky Salsa.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per fajita, not including toppings.
8.9g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.6g,poly 1.8g)