Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Italian Eggplant Bake
Cook Time: 55 minutes
* 1 large or 2 medium eggplants—about 1 pound
* 1 jar low-sodium marinara sauce
* 1 15-ounce tub fat-free ricotta cheese, drained
* 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
* 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice eggplant lengthwise to a 1/4 inch thickness. Place on large cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Roast eggplant until tender, about 20 minutes, turning once half-way through.
When the eggplant is done, remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
Place baby spinach in microwaveable dish and sprinkle with water. Cook until just wilted. Squeeze dry.
Spoon on-third of the marinara sauce on the bottom of an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish. Lay one-third of eggplant slices over sauce, followed by one-third of the spinach and one-third of the ricotta cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling.