Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Grit's Famous Creamy Garlic Dressing, Vegan Safe


After gastric bypass surgery, its hard to find things that are packed with protein in the smallest amounts. My favorite vegetarian restaurant in the US is the Grit, located in Athens, GA. It is frequented by R.E.M. and the B-52's (locals of the town) and Univ. of GA students. This recipe is great for getting the most out of your protein. I put this over salads, over vegetables (raw or grilled) and even over grilled fish for visitors. To get a copy of the book, I have put a link on the right where you can order it via amazon.

1/2 (15oz) block tofu, crumbled
6 tablespoons water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 small garlic cloves, chopped
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 tsp white pepper
3/4 cup soybean oil

Combine all ingredients except oil in blender or food processor and mix well. Continue blending while adding oil in a slow, steady stream until smooth and thick. Use immediately or store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes 2 cups.

2 comments:

wabi sabi said...

I am so, so happy to have found your blog! I am considering gastric bypass and was worried about being vegetarian after it, because everyone talks about protein, protein, protein. I too have been a vegetarian since childhood. I have always yo-yo'd with my weight, but over the last 10 years have dieted myself up to a super high BMI. I too want to get back to a more holistic lifestyle including yoga, hiking, cycling, etc. once again. Your blog is a huge asset. Thank you so much!

wabi sabi said...

p.s...I used to live in Athens, GA and ate at The Grit as much as possible. AMAZING food and great atmosphere!!